Sunday, March 8, 2009

Personal Viewpoint on the Environment

From an early age I have learned to love the outdoors. With a mom who is also a teacher and a dad who grew up in the hills, I spent a larger part of my youth camping, fishing, mountain biking, and doing basically any other activity involving nature. Even with all the exposure to our environment, I still feel that there are area's where I need to improve my habits. In today's society people value items instead of surroundings and I admit to taking part in this. Though I learned more than the average child about conserving, I also fell into line with my classmates when it came to wanting items such as gas guzzling SUVs. The idea of wanting bigger and better things compared to the next guy is something that is so intertwined in our society it is sicking, again I do not claim to be perfect either though. However I believe that as each day passes and information becomes more wide spread, more and more people are becoming aware of our environment and the effects we have on it. Just in the last five years I have seen more people making a conscious effort to be "Green" than ever before. The more people that become educated, the more likely there will be to see a shift in values that puts our environment first.

2 comments:

  1. I am just now learning and realizing the importance and impact of the environment. My mom was a single mom and so worrying about the environment was pretty low on her list as she was juggling a lot of other things. I do wish that I would have been able to be educated while I was younger but I think the most important part is that I am getting the education. I was in girl scouts and went camping while I was a child but I honestly never realized how everything is connected to each other in the environment. I think that the most important changes are life style changes, using a metal water bottle instead of plastic "disposable" ones, conserving water, and energy etc, these small tasks add up very quickly and the more that I do and spread the word and get others to do also will help everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right! AS we get older more and more information is surfacing. I didn't know that in the last five years that more and more people are making a better effort to be green. I guess I didn't notice because of all the articles I have read seems that we are just continuing to become worse. Even in this hard economic time people still consume resources like they are going out of style. For example car companies have made more in the last two years on SUV's then they have in the eight years prior to that due to the sales that the dealerships held. Like you I grew up in the wilderness and had to parents that very much appreciated the world but there were always more things that I myself could have been doing. I tended to disregard a lot and now looking back regret every single one. For example littering any time that there was no trash can around so I wouldn’t have to hold. It has over time hurt the environment because of careless people like me. Your parents can only do so much.

    ReplyDelete